Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Transport

This is a post that you’ll want to keep checking back in on. As I travel the city, one of the main differences between here and the States are the way people get around. Driving in Tokyo is notoriously bad because of traffic, but many people still do it. What we don’t realize is that Japan is not like America in it’s selection of cars (half American and half Japanese with a spattering of Euro makes and models). Instead, it is almost 85% Japanese cars, vans, scooters and motorcycles. The rest are European. Period. In fact, in my time here, I’ve only seen 1 American car: the red Vette I took a picture of.

Anyway, here is my attempt to document the strange, cool…and different cars (and bikes and motorcycles and scooters) they drive on the other side of the world…


Might as well start it out right with probably the most expensive car I'll see the entire semester:



Ferrari 612 Scaglietti. It's only a 500hp V12 beast...





And, on my very first day, I see the quintessential Japanese supercar:


Nissan Skyline GT-R:



Notice the side-view mirrors on the hoods of the taxi? Trust me, they need it...



Some weird Honda (I find myself saying that a lot these days)...



Absolutely no idea. If anyone has a clue, fill me in. All I know is that it has to ride like a go-kart...



Just one of many unusual bikes...



A Toyopet (what they call Toyota in Japan) limo car:



What it looks like when a Amerikajin gets on a bike (notice the mask; Japanese wear them out when they are sick because it is rude to breath, cough or sneeze on others - or in public - when ill).



The only American-made car I've seen since I've been here...



A little Ducati love. I'm thinking like a 2005 MTS 1000...



Is that a BMX bike on 2 snowboards? Yes, yes it is.


Some weird Honda...

I like to see that the art of jacking up your car isn't limited to rural United States...

1 comment:

Diana Saffo Bono Fine Art Blog said...

Hi Nick -
Both Aunt Diana and I are enjoying your blog. Quite an experience and education in itself. In a very short time, we have learned more about Japan and the culture than we ever knew. Keep it coming we love it.

Relative to transport, we liked all of the fancy, sleek, expensive,fast cars. We have a 1987 Porsche 911 Cabriolet ready to challenge any contender. We have contacts in a port, close to your location, that would allow the offloading of said vehicle for the challenge.

Knowing your schedule, do not spend to much of your waking hours on the above. Be safe and enjoy. We look forward to your postings.
Love
Aunt Diana and Uncle Ken

P.S.Good news about the puffer fish.