Sunday, January 13, 2008

My Apartment

For the record, space is limited in Japan, especially in Tokyo. The city is 15 miles north to south, and 55 miles east to west, yet is the largest metropolitan area in terms of population, with over 35 million. The city alone has 13 million (4 million more than New York).





So when I got an apartment, I knew it would be small...I did not realize it would be as small as some closets. The realtor caters to foreign travelers, students and businessmen, and Samuel, my agent has been a lifesaver.

Ok, so here are the specs:

1 bedroom apartment, 118 sq. ft.
fully furnished w/ kitchen, bathroom, fridge, microwave...the works.



I get all of this for the low low price of Y70,000 (about $658.10) per month, not including electric, water and gas. What's great is that it's a real bargain.

I live in Nakano-ku (na-KA-no) (ku means "city" or in this case, ward), one of the 23 wards of Tokyo. It's a western suburb located just past Shinjuku. I clocked it, and by subway, I am about 60 minutes away from school. I'll talk more about my ward, and my trip to school later, but here are some of the highlights of my place:



Real Japanese hardwood floors, with a split level for taking off your shoes before you enter (aka, PVC stained with a wood grain finish and a step).



An executive workstation (aka, a folding table and matching folding chair).



Japanese-style twin bed (aka, a prison mattress 3/4ths the size of a U.S. twin bed).



Entertainment center (aka, 13" tv without cable or any reception and a VCR).



Gourmet kitchen (aka, a sink and 1 gas burner).


Complete with a professional grade microwave (aka, one with the unique settings for rice...or squid).


Gorgeous skyline views (aka, rooftops and cables in one window, and a metal screen in the other).


Penthouse-style bathroom (aka, toilet, sink, shower and soaking tub (where the sink and shower efficiently share the same faucet, and where the tub is so high I have to hurdle in and out of it).








...oh, and I'll never take having a closet for granted again. Mostly because I'm living in one now, and because it doesn't have one of its own.




Ahh, home sweet home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there Nic.....It's the Bono's.....Jeff, Vinita, Nicolas and Mya. The place looks great. Mya said thanks for showing the pictures to us. Vinita said don't worry about the tight space just enjoy all your time. Nicolas and I want you to let us know how the squid tastes in the microwave.

Don't be a stranger, let us know if you need anything. I'll get you my cell phone numbers in an non public forum.

See ya.....enjoy.